Home Teeth Whitening Kits
Most people want a smile that features beautiful white teeth – the type of smile we see on people in movies, on television, and in magazines. The problem is that teeth naturally change to a darker colour as we get older. This is exacerbated by particular foods and drinks, such as red wine, coffee and tea, as well as foods like blackcurrants. Plaque also causes discolouration of the teeth, as can some antibiotics.
Even if you adopt good oral hygiene, brushing your teeth regularly, flossing, and using high-quality products, you will still not be able to keep your teeth perfectly white. In fact, you will suffer discolouration even if you avoid the main foods and drinks that cause teeth to darken.
Teeth whitening is the process of making your teeth white again, without removing any of the natural surface of the tooth. In other words, making teeth white without causing any damage.
To get your teeth whitened, you have two main options:
- Go to your dentist or a specialist clinic for a whitening procedure
- Use a home teeth whitening kit
The key ingredient in both options is the whitening agent. Usually, that whitening agent is either hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide. This is true whether you go through the process at a clinic or purchase a home teeth whitening kit. The main difference is the level of concentration of the whitening agent.
Clinics Versus Home Teeth Whitening
Both options for whitening your teeth are effective – going to a dentist/clinic or doing it at home. Both will give you whiter, brighter teeth. There are, however, a number of reasons why using a home teeth whitening kit is more effective than booking an appointment with your dentist or a local clinic:
- Cost – cost is the big benefit, as home teeth whitening kits are substantially cheaper than clinic-based treatments. Given that none of the treatments are permanent, the savings of doing it at home can be significant over time.
- Convenient – normally, it is only possible to get an appointment at your dentist or local clinic during business hours. That means you need to take time out of your day to attend that treatment, which usually lasts an hour. Home teeth whitening kits are much more convenient – you can whiten your teeth at a time that suits you in the privacy and comfort of your own home.
- No sensitivity issues – the treatments used at a dentist or clinic are intensive. This gets good results, but it also typically makes your teeth sensitive to hot or cold foods for some period of time after the treatment. Home teeth whitening kits are designed for long-term use, generating effective, but gradual results. This means there are usually no sensitivity issues to deal with.
In addition to the above, home teeth whitening kits are also easily accessible (they are available in shops and online), safe, and easy to use. They commonly involve the use of bleaching gels, strips, and/or mouth trays, and usually only require your attention for a few minutes a day. This is why they are becoming increasingly popular and are now a part of many people’s standard oral hygiene routine.